There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, March 19, 2020

du Puy Lentil Stew #1 - Testing

https://www.marmiton.org/recettes/recette_ragout-de-lentilles-vertes-du-puy_24629.aspx

1 - It makes a lot!!! I could easily halve or even reduce to a third of the recipe, especially if I intend it as a side. On its own, it's a little dull - nice meaty cubes might be a welcome addition, or sausages? And the quantity of liquid, at least in this iteration, is only exactly enough - there was no extra to boil down. I will cross out that part to see if the same happens next time. But while cooking the aromatics, wow, the aromatics smell so good! Ben said it reminded him of the autumn.

3 slices of bacon cut into lardons
3 onions, chopped fine
5 carrots, sliced
150 g (about 15) mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 bay leaves
A pinch of Herbes de Provence
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups puréed tomato
3 cups du Puy lentils
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup crème fraîche
  1. Put lardons, onions, carrots, and mushrooms. When it starts to sizzle, add the bay leaves, herbes, salt and pepper. 
  2. Once the carrots are just tender, add the tomato and lentils, mix and get to hot, then add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until the lentils are perfectly soft.
  3. Now, prepare to reduce the broth by draining the liquid into a saucepan. Add the cream and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes.
  4. Mix the cream into the lentils and reheat the lot.
  5. Serve on its own with crusty bread or as a side with a meat dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment