There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Egg bhurji - Test 3

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-indian-style-scrambled-eggs-egg-bhurji-recipes-from-the-kitchn-212259

2021-07-31 - A good first try. I used dry chilli flakes because I didn't have the green chilli. Ben thinks he prefers it with toast vs. rice (ate it with toast, not rice), because of texture.
2021-10-02 - It's a good, simple, flavorful dish. 
2021- 10-09 - So quick and surprisingly good. Eating with bread is definitely better than with rice. Oh, and fresh tomato is a must.

1 Tbsp mild cooking oil
1/2 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 1/2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 small green bird's eye chili, finely sliced OR a pinch of red pepper flakes
1 large tomato, chopped
1/8 tsp turmeric 
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
Small handful fresh cilantro, to garnish
Salt and pepper, to taste
  1. Heat the oil in a skillet and add the mustard seeds. When the seeds start to pop, add the onion. Sauté until softened.
  2. Add the ginger and green chili to the onion. Sauté for about 30 seconds, then add the chopped tomato and turmeric. Cook together until the tomato is just beginning to break down. Turn down the heat to medium-low.
  3. Stir the eggs into this mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until creamy curds form, similar to scrambled eggs. Stir in the fresh cilantro.
  4. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment