There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, March 1, 2020

Beef Barley Stew or Soup - PUBLISHED

https://www.daringgourmet.com/hearty-beef-barley-stew/
https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-slow-cooker-beef-and-barley-stew-107027
https://www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com/slow-cooker-beef-and-barley-stew-recipe/
https://damndelicious.net/2019/01/06/beef-and-barley-stew/

This can be made as thick or soupy as you want (I presume).

1 - This totally rocks, but I crock-potted it for more than six hours and it was way done before that. I removed the tomato paste, and I think the Dijon added what tang the paste might have done. I did not have parsley, I really need to grow some!
2 - At the moment it is still cooking. But it has overflowed my slow cooker! I will cut the recipe ingredients by half. I couldn't even put in the full amount of broth, only 5 cups!
Half seemed like not enough for leftovers (one of the reasons I love this recipe) so I changed it in underline to two-thirds of the recipe (I hope!).
3 - These are the correct amounts. It was just enough to fill my slow cooker without overflowing it.

1 1/2 - 2 lbs beef chuck (sirloin tip, top sirloin, etc) or round beef roast, in 1/4" cubes (cut when half-thawed to make it easier)
2/3 tsp tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 Tbsp oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6 - 8 oz mushrooms, thin slice
2/3 cup red wine
1 tsp fresh thyme or 2-3 sprigs 
1 bay leaf
2 tsps  Dijon mustard
2 - 6 cups beef stock
2/3 cup pearl barley
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
  1. Melt/heat the oil in a large pan and when hot, add the meat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sear the meat until it is browned on all sides. Put in the slow cooker.
  2. Add oil to the pan if necessary and cook the onion until it is soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and cook until browning. Dump into the slow cooker.
  3. Add the wine to the hot pan a reduce by half or more.
  4. Add 2 cups of the broth to the pan and add to the slow cooker, along with the rest of the broth.
  5. Add the carrot, the thyme and bay leaf, the mustard and of course the barley.
  6. Cook on high for 6 hours?
  7. Before serving, stir in the parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment