There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, March 20, 2020

Pork and Nettle Pie - Untested

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Pork-and-Stinging-Nettle-Pie-2255231

2 pounds pork shoulder (cubed)
1 onion (small diced)
4 stalks celery (small diced)
2 carrots (small diced)
1/2 cup sherry
4 cups pork stock
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 pound nettles (cleaned)
salt (To taste)
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
6 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3/4 pound butter (diced and cold)
3/4 cup lard (diced and cold)
ice water (As needed)


  1. For the Filling: Sear pork in a large pot until well browned. Add mirepoix and sauté until browned and tender; deglaze with sherry wine.
  2. Add pork stock and simmer until tender. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and fold nettles in. Add nettle slurry to pot and bring to boil to thicken. Season with salt and vinegar and chill
  3. For the Dough: Combine the flour, sugar and salt, cut the mixture with lard and butter, keeping it very cold. Add water until crumbling and barely holding together. Wrap and chill
  4. To serve: Roll pie dough into small muffin tins and fill with pork mixture. Top with a layer of dough, vent and bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes or until dough is cooked through and flaky

No comments:

Post a Comment