There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Lentil Soup with Bacon - Test 2

This is really just a variation on another winter vegetable lentil soup, and I include it because variations are often nice.

1 - A very serviceable soup. I put it on the Test 1 list because I got no negative comments, although I wonder if something could elevate it, still. Perhaps some fruit vinegar? Cheese is an easy go-to...
2 - This was very good. 

3 slices bacon, cut into lardons
1 Tbsp oil or fat
Mirepoid
- 1 medium yellow onion, in small cubes
-  (optional) 1 stalk celery, in small cubes
- 2 medium carrots, in small cubes
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup French lentils (lentilles duPuy)
a couple sprig of fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
A few Tbsps chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
  1. Render the fat from the bacon in a large pot over medium-low heat, until the bacon is crisp, 4-5 minutes. Remove the bacon and set aside.
  2. Add the oil, onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the carrots and garlic, stirring constantly, and cook 1 minute more.
  4. Add the diced tomatoes (with their juices), chicken broth, lentils, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender, 50-60 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
  5. Purée the soup just a little, to thicken the broth slightly, either with an immersion blender, or a cup or two in a blender. Garnish with the parsley and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment