There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, October 6, 2014

Zucchini and lemon spaghetti - Test 1

1 - Ben made this and it turned out pretty bland. The ingredients look right, but something is definitely missing. He didn't use the feta because we didn't have any in the house. (2014)
2 - Made it last night with the full complement of cheeses. Ben liked it a lot. I didn't. I'm going to keep it and try it again, because my taster may have been off.
3 - I liked it better, and it's a good way of using zucchini and is relatively quick to make. Not a favorite but a good summer dish. I removed the word 'optional' for the cheeses. They are absolutely required.

 
8 oz. dried spaghetti 
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp. fresh sage, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving 
4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled 
zest of 1/2 lemon
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
  1. Cook the pasta. When the pasta is al dente, drain it in a colander, drizzle with a little olive oil and mix to lightly coat. Set aside.
  2. In the same saucepan, put in the 3 Tbsps of olive oil and heat over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the zucchini and sauté for 4-5 minutes, then add the garlic and herbs and mix well. 
  4. Sauté for a couple more minutes, to allow all the flavors to come together and the zucchini to cook through.
  5. Return the cooked spaghetti to the pan and heat through, then mix in the cheese and lemon zest. Season with salt (you may not need much since the feta cheese is salty) and a good grind of black pepper. 
  6. Serve, with a little more grated Parmesan sprinkled over, if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment