There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Testing - Roasted apple, cheese and shallot pithivier

1 - How exciting! I made this recipe with a few poorly chosen substitutions (onions instead of shallots, medium cheddar instead of blue cheese), but the crust was my biggest and most pleasing surprise. I had some leftover dough from a couple of previous crusts in the freezer, all folded up into a couple of little balls. I thawed them in the refrigerator and re-rolled them while refrigerator cold, and the crust came out all golden and puffed, almost like puff pastry, but in my mind much better. I will have to try this method of treating the crust again!
- could try using a very sharp cheddar or Lancashire.

3-4 Tbsps olive oil
5 eating apples (1kg), cored, quartered and sliced about 1/4" thick
2 large shallots, peeled and sliced about 1/4" thick
fresh thyme sprigs
3-4 oz blue cheese (or cheddar), crumbled
salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 thyme sprigs
plain flour (for rolling out the pastry)
18 oz butter puff pastry or 2 recipes of pie crust
1 egg, beaten
Salt and pepper
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
  2. Combine the apples and shallots with roughly 3-4 Tbsps of olive oil. Add 1/2 tsp of salt, a generous grinding of black pepper and the thyme sprigs. Plop onto a cookie sheet and spread out the mixture. Roast for about 20 to 30 minutes, turning the mixture occasionally, until the shallots are soft and start to brown. Set aside to cool.
  3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to about 1/4" thick and wide enough to cover the base of a pie plate. Roll out the rest of the dough in preparation.
  4. Lay out 1/3 of the apple and onion mixture in the bottom of the pie shell. Add 1 oz of the crumbled cheese and season with black pepper. Repeat until all of the apple/onion mix and cheese is used up.
  5. Brush the pastry margin with a little of the beaten egg.
  6. Lay the second sheet of dough over the top and press down on the edges with your fingers to seal the filling in.
  7. Go around a second time and properly pinch the edges to make sure they're sealed and uniform (as much for the practicality as for the aesthetics).
  8. Brush with the remaining beaten egg and set aside in the fridge for 20 minutes before baking.
  9. Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
  10. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment