There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Testing - Lentils, Sausage and Kale in Red Wine

How to make kale palatable? As someone said, better to have fewer vitamins in the kale you eat than not have any vitamins at all because you don't eat the kale.
NOTES
1 - first attempt = tasted like healthfood trying to masquerade as fine food. Kind of bland.
2 - re-heated it, but first fried a piece of bacon cut up into lardons until just crisp and dumped the rest into the pan. I think this is the answer. Could also:
TRY - smoked sausage

TRY - 4 slices bacon, cut up into lardons

3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 12oz of mild sausage
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
Pinch of crushed red pepper, or to taste
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups red wine
1 cup du Puy lentils
12 cups chopped kale leaves, tough stems removed
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  1. Start by massaging the kale - I just rub them between my palms as if I was rolling a cigar. This will break down the fiber in the leaves and make them more tender.
  2. Fry up the lardons in a large skillet until just crispy and 1 teaspoon oil. Add sausages and cook until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool to make it easy to handle.
  3. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and onion to the hot pan and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the water and the wine and bring it to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Add the lentils, and scatter the kale on top; simmer, covered, for 40 minutes. DO NOT STIR.
  4. Add the sage and salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and kale are tender, about 10 minutes more. Slice the sausage and stir into the pan along with pepper. Cover and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment