There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Testing - Butternut Squash Gratin with Blue Cheese and Sage

This recipe asked for blue cheese, and I had some Leicester Blue on hand. The overall feeling was that it was the wrong cheese to match with the dish. I'll have to try a different kind of blue cheese.
 

2lbs  cubed peeled butternut squash in 3/4-inches
1 Large thinly sliced onion
1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Butter
1 1/2oz Panko
4 tsps olive oil, divided
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled

  1. Preheat oven to 400°.
  2. Steam the cubed butternut squash, covered, for about 10 minutes or until tender.
  3. In a small bowl toss Panko with 2 tsp olive oil to coat.
  4. Heat the remaining 2 tsps oil in a large pan and saute the onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the cooked butternut squash, the chopped sage, salt, and black pepper, and toss gently to combine. Spoon the squash mixture into a buttered baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the crumbled cheese evenly over the squash mixture, followed by the Panko. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crumbs are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment