There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, October 5, 2014

DuPuy Lentil Soup - Published

I like this soup, but it wasn't quite right, so far. I've made it a couple of times, and I think I have it right this time - looking forward to making it again!
Update: I think this is it! On to the proving stage!

2-3 Tbsps rendered bacon fat
3 onions, chopped
2 Bay laurel leaves
2 tsps. ground cumin
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup DuPuy lentils
5 cups water
2 tsps. red wine vinegar (what about white wine vinegar?)
1 Tbsp beef broth concentrate
1/2 tsp salt
Ground black pepper, to taste
Hot sauce, to taste
  1. In a large casserole heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, Bay leaves and cumin until the onion is tender. (Cooking the onions over low heat allows for the sweetness of the onion to come through). Add the garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
  2. Add the lentils, the water, vinegar and beef broth concentrate and bring to a boil. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 50-60 minutes, or until the lentils are completely soft.
  3. Optional: you can blend about a quarter of the soup to make it thicker.
  4. If the soup is too thick, you can thin it by adding boiling water.
  5. Serve with ground black pepper on top and, if desired, a few drops of hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment