There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Test 1 - Chicken and Lentil Stew

This is a good, simple meal, but I feel like the chicken gets overcooked. I changed the ending of the story. Previously the tale culminated in adding the cooked chicken and bringing it back to a simmer, then cooking for 1-2 minutes. I removed the simmering, figuring the that spinach would wilt enough in a couple of minutes just sitting in the hot lentil broth; this appears to fix the problem.
TO TRY: from http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/592678
- Step 1 is to cut 3 strips of bacon into lardons and render the fat in the olive oil to cook the chicken etc. in. There should be a total of 4 Tbsps. of oil/fat used in the recipe.
- omit coriander and replace with Bay leaf and a sprig of thyme
- omit chicken broth and replace with Apple cider
- Rethink - with these alterations, the lemon juice and fresh dill may be out of place. To determine.
2.0 HEY! How about using leftover chicken?


1+ Tbsp. olive oil
8 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast, diced OR 8 oz. leftover chicken
1 carrot, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. coriander, crushed
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup Du Puy lentils
1 oz. spinach, chopped (or baby)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring once or twice until it's no longer pink in the middle, about 2 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside.
  2. Add a bit more oil if you think it needs it, and heat over medium-low heat. Add the carrot, garlic, coriander, salt and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about a minute. Stir in the broth and lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
  3. Add the cooked chicken, spinach and lemon juice and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the dill.

No comments:

Post a Comment