There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Test 1 - Apple Dumplings

The first time I made this we used large apples, and there wasn't enough dough to cover all 4, although it was very good. The second time I made it, the delicious apple-pie-ness of it was still there, but I didn't seal the dough properly and some of it fell off the apple, releasing most of the delicious juices. I still have to figure out how to properly seal the crust. I think I may be leaving it too thick and have to try to stretch the dough to make it cover the apple, and then while cooking it shrinks and the seams come apart...
1-I'm trying patience. I wet the edges of the dough where it joins at the top, pinched it tight to the apple, cut off the excess and re-wet where it looked like it wasn't sealed and re-pinched then put it in the refrigerator for 45 mins to an hour! I figure it'll give the seal time to settle. Fingers crossed! Results: it seems to have worked!

4 small apples, cored and peeled
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
Optional: a few dried raisins or candied ginger cut up small
1 batch Cookie Pie Crust
1 egg yolk

  1. Peel and core 4 small apples.
  2. In a small bowl combine the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
  3. Roll out the dough to make 4 equal sized sheets of ??? inches.
  4. Place the apple in the middle of the dough, stuff the butter mixture into the core, and fold the dough over the apple, wetting the dough to seal it.
  5. Brush with egg yolk and bake in a 375F oven for 30-35 min.
  6. Take them out of the oven and allow them to rest for 10-15 minutes.
  7. Like apple pie, it's good cold or warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment