There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Untested - Spicy Chickpea Stew with Roasted Cauliflower

Servings?

4 cups cooked chickpeas - drained and rinsed, or soak 2 cups dry overnight and boil until tender 
2 heads cauliflower 
1/2 cup olive oil 
2 medium white onions, diced 
8 cloves garlic, minced or pressed 
1 tablespoon ground cumin 
2 tablespoons turmeric 
2 teaspoons cinnamon 
2 tablespoons fennel seeds 
Anywhere from 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons cayenne depending on your heat preference 
1 preserved lemon, minced (or juice from 2 fresh lemons and zest from 1) 
Kosher salt 
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper 
Flat leaf parsley or cilantro to garnish 
Optional: dry harissa, zatar or other spice power to garnish
  1. Cut the cauliflower into moderate sized florets, and cube the stalks. Toss with 1/4 c. olive oil and a little salt, and roast at 400ºF (using convection if available) until quite tender and starting to caramelize.
  2. In a large pot, heat the remaining olive oil over a medium high flame. Add the onion and fry until translucent. Add the garlic, cumin, turmeric, cinammon, fennel seeds, and cayenne and stir rapidly. When the spices are fragrant (maybe 30 seconds), add the chickpeas and some water and turn down to a simmer.
  3. When the cauliflower is done, add it to the pot, along with the lemon.
  4. Start with 1 T. kosher salt, and keep adding until it tastes right. Add more water if needed to achieve a stew-like consistency. Simmer awhile longer so that some of the chickpeas dissolve a little. Be sure not to let them scorch!
  5. At the end, add the black pepper and do a final check on the salt, spices, and acid. Serve over couscous, garnished with the parsley or cilantro. Dust the plate with the dry harissa or zatar if using. Pass a yogurt based sauce (with cucumber or mint or dill) and a hot sauce (preferably wet harissa).

No comments:

Post a Comment