There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Testing - The Art of Eggs - Oeufs Orsini


1 - My lovely book of recipes from Monet's kitchen at Giverny, which I've already mentioned, contains a recipe for eggs that has fascinated me for some time. I finally made it and it is simple, impressive, and tasty. I still have to work out the best baking dish to use though - it wasn't as pretty as I would have liked.
2 - The frustration I have with this recipe is that the yolks become quite unattractive when they cook, but upon re-reading the recipe I realize that the yolks shouldn't float on top of the meringue - the recipe asks for deep holes in the whites, while I was trying to make them float on the surface. BUT I'd like to work out a way of knowing where the yolks are to be able to scoop them out whole, some sort of marker on top. Perhaps a dash of paprika?

6 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsps. grated Gruyere or Parmigiano
1/4 cup butter cut into small pieces

  1. Preheat the oven to 300F.
  2. Separate eggs very carefully, pouring whites into a mixing bowl and setting the yolks aside - this is tricky, because the recipe requires that you add the yolks whole and unbroken, separately, at the end. What I do is catch the yolk in my fingers when I'm separating the eggs and then saving them each in their own half-shell. Using my fingers this way is easier for me to not break the yolks. I keep the egg shells in the egg carton.
  3. To the egg whites, add the salt beat them until they are very stiff (they should be able to support the weight on a teaspoon without it sinking in.
  4. Grease you baking dish (can't make any suggestions yet, I'm still trying to figure out which one would be best, myself) and pour in the egg whites, smoothing and spreading gently with a wooden spoon. Use the spoon to make six fairly deep holes in the whites, evenly spaced apart. Slip one egg yolk into each cavity and sprinkle with pepper, then sprinkle the whole dish with the cheese and dot with the butter (I used less than a 1/4 cup butter and it was delicious).
  5. Put the dish on the lowest rack in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the yolks are set (I've left it so the yolks are still runny, and the whites were well cooked). Serve immediately, because it gets cold real fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment