There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Untested - Stewed Rack of Lamb

https://thefoodsnobuk.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/rack-of-lamb-irish-stew-colcannon-potatoes/
http://instantpot.com/rack-of-lamb-casserole/

8 lamb chop cutlets from the rack of lamb (or 1 lb)
1 lb potatoes, preferably fingerling or baby
4 large carrots in chunks
1 large onion cut in eighths (with basal stem intact)
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 cup lamb stock
2/3 cup stout such as Guinness
2 Tbsps fresh chopped parsley
2 dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp of pearled barley
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
Salt and pepper
  1. Trim some of the fat from from each of the chops and put the fat in a medium heated frying pan. This will melt some of the lamb fat for use in the next couple of steps.
  2. Preheat oven to 350F.
  3. After 5 to 10 minutes, remove the fatty pieces from the frying pan and discard. Fry each lamb chop in the fat for about three minutes at a medium temperature – turn half way through. Put the lamb chops in the casserole dish.
  4. Cook the carrots, celery and onions in the remaining fat for two minutes, turning frequently.
  5. Put the onions and carrots around the lamb chops in the casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Add the potatoes, thyme, Worcestershire Sauce, pearl barley, lamb stock and beer. Cover and bake for one and a half hours.
  7. Make a roux with the butter and flour by melting the butter and, when it starts to froth, sprinkle in the flour while whisking vigorously. Cook for 2 minutes whisking all the time to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
  8. Take the casserole dish from the oven and pour off most of the gravy into the roux (be careful, the casserole dish will be hot and the roux could boil over).
  9. Quickly whisk the gravy and roux together. Add back into the casserole and scatter the parsley on top. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
  10. Cover and put the casserole dish back in the oven for ten minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment