There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Untested - Oeufs on cocotte Lyonnaise

Baked Eggs in Ramekins With Onions from The Country Cooking of France by Anne Willan

1 Tbsp butter
6 - 8 scallions, sliced
Salt and pepper
Country Bread
More butter (2 Tbsps)
4 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream

  1. Heat the oven to 350F. Butter the ramekins.
  2. Melt the Tbsp of butter over medium heat and fry the scallions until golden (5-7 minutes).
  3. Spread them in the ramekins and season with salt and pepper.
  4. Cube the bread to make croutons.
  5. Over medium heat melt the 2 Tbsps of butter in a small pan (level of butter should be 1/4 inch) and allow it to heat up completely so that when a cube of bread is put in, it will quietly sizzle.
  6. Add the bread cubes and fry, stirring constantly so they brown evenly, about 30 seconds to 1 minutes. 
  7. Burns easily!
  8. Strain off the extra fat.
  9. Scatter the croutons over the scallions and season again. (this can be done in advance and left at room temperature)
  10. Break an egg in into each ramekin and spoon enough cream to cover it, about a Tbsp.
  11. Line a roasting pan with a dish towel and pour on enough boiling water to come up half way the sides of the ramekins.
  12. Bring the water just back to a boil on the stove top before popping the whole thing into the oven
  13. Bake until the egg whites are almost set, about 10-11 minutes, depending on the ramekin and how hot your oven is. NOTE the eggs will continue cooking for a minute or two in the hot dishes after they've been taken out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment