There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Testing - Oeufs renversés à la Lyonnaise

Savory Egg Custard with Tomato Sauce from Monet's Table by Claire Joyes, p. 115

1 - I screwed up my first attempt - I think I only put in 1 cup of milk. However, this means that the cake tin is not enough to contain the dish. I will have to purchase something larger. I also suspect it means that 30 minutes will not be enough to cook such a large amount of custard.

4 cups milk
1/4 tsp salt
8 eggs
1 cup (3-4 oz) Gruyère cheese, grated
1/2 tsp pepper
12 ripe tomatoes, peeled (3-4lbs)
2 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
(optional) 1 small slice ham, cut into julienne strips
2 Tbsps butter cut into pieces
  1. Heat the milk with the salt. When it comes to a boil remove it from the heat but keep it warm (cover it). (Honestly, this is just silly!)
  2. Preheat the oven to 300F. Fill a dish half-way with water and place in the oven - it should be large enough to accommodate your baking dish.
  3. Fill a bowl with ice and water and set it next to the stove. Working in batches, drop several tomatoes into the boiling water. Watch for their skins to start to wrinkle and split, 45 to 60 seconds, then scoop them out with a slotted spoon and transfer them to the ice water bath. Set aside.
  4. Grease a (The recipe suggests a Charlotte mold and with the volume of milk it will need something that size. HOWEVER, a larger container like a lasagna dish or even several ramekins could work just as well, and likely the ramekins would be better because serving would be easier and more attractive).
  5. Beat the eggs, as for an omelet. While beating, add the hot milk a little at a time to allow the egg to gradually heat up whithout become scrambled eggs. After about 6 Tbsps add the rest of the milk and  Once well combined mix in all of the cheese. Stir to combine and pour into the greased pan.
  6. Place the pan in the water bath in the oven - there should be enough water to come up half-way up the sides of the pan.
  7. Bake for 30 minutes (more likely 1 hour) or until the tip of a knife comes out clean from the centre. 
  8. Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce but cutting the tomatoes into quarters and lightly pressing them to extract excess juice and the seeds. 
  9. Put the pulp into a pan with the thyme and bay leaf along with the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then simmer for at least 20 minutes, allowing it reduce into a purée. 
  10. Just before serving stir in the butter to the sauce one piece at a time until the mixture is smooth.
  11. Pour over the egg custard and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment