There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Curried potatoes and beans - PUBLISHED

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/french-bean-recipe-indian-recipe-with-french-beans-potatoes/
http://www.spiceupthecurry.com/aloo-beans-recipe/

1 - Lovely! I could likely just do potatoes.
2 - I hadn't made this in a long time. But it's summer and the bean plants (this year growing at Roz and Michael's) are producing food, so it's time to break out the fresh green bean recipes. In making it this time I realized that the measuring system I used is confusing (I've never liked thinks like "2 cups of fresh beans". In fact, I'd prefer if it was more along the lines of "2 hands full of green beans" instead), and in fact there are missing instructions. Making it this time, the potatoes weren't cooked enough when I put in the rest of the ingredients, so the spices got a bit charred and some of the beans blackened while I was trying to finish the potatoes.
3 - Made again to acclaim, but with more alterations. I decreased the cayenne from 1tsp to 1/2 tsp and it was still very hot, but not unpleasantly so. It takes much longer to cook the potatoes to the point described in step 1. Originally it was 3-4 minutes. No. Just, no. I increased the time to 10-15 minutes, and it may in fact be longer. 
4 - The altered cooking time definitely fixes the problem. Additionally, I've been keeping the pan covered when not sauteeing.

8 to 10 oz green beans, cut into 1" lengths
1lb to 1lb 6oz potatoes, cut into wedges
2 Tbsps oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, to taste
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp + lemon or lime juice
  1. Pour the oil in a saucepan and add mustard and cumin seeds. Turn on the heat to medium-high and, when the mustard seeds start to pop (this is unmistakable), add the potatoes and sautée 10-15 minutes, or until just starting to brown on all sides and getting soft. Keep covered when not actively sautéeing.
  2. Add the beans along with the turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne and salt. Mix well and sautée another 8-10 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
  3. Add the garam masala and the lemon juice, all to just heat up, about 1 minute, and serve. A light drizzle of more citrus juice would not go amiss.


No comments:

Post a Comment