There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, August 7, 2017

Untested - Italian braised peas, broad beans and new potatoes

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/apr/11/new-potato-recipes-wild-garlic-soup-salad-melted-cheese-salsa

4 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
500g asparagus, tips put to one side, stalks finely chopped
400g small Jersey Royal potatoes (or other new potatoes), scrubbed and halved
½ bunch parsley, leaves picked and finely chopped
½ bunch mint, leaves picked and finely chopped
A handful of marjoram leaves, finely chopped (optional)
400g freshly podded broad beans (frozen are fine)
400g freshly podded peas (frozen are fine)
A squeeze of lemon juice, to taste
Extra-virgin olive oil, to finish
Salt and black pepper

  1. Place a large, wide pan over a medium-low heat and warm up the oil before adding the onion, garlic and asparagus stalks. Add a good pinch of salt and sweat gently for 10 minutes until soft, but not coloured.
  2. Add the potatoes, half the herbs and a splash of water. Stir well, turn the heat down to low, cover with a lid and leave for 15 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, bring a small pan of salted water to the boil and blanch the broad beans for 1 minute before draining. Remove the lid from the wide pan and stir in the broad beans and peas. Season well with salt and pepper and add enough water to come halfway up the vegetables. Cover with a cartouche (a piece of parchment paper cut the size of the pan) and leave to bubble away for a further 15 minutes, lifting the cartouche and stirring occasionally.
  4. Taste and check that the broad beans, peas and potatoes are completely soft and tender. Continue cooking if not. Remove the cartouche, stir in the asparagus tips and give them a minute or two to cook through. Stir in the remaining herbs, check the seasoning, then squeeze in a little lemon juice to taste. Finish with a generous glug of extra-virgin olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment