There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Beef stew with garlic cream sauce - Testing

https://www.saveur.com/beef-stew-with-garlic-cream-recipe/?sRGFXm4rgc4IPD6R.32

1 - On the whole, very good. I served on a bed of home-made egg noodles. The cream as is currently in the recipe is problematic. Serving it on the side doesn't appear to serve any purpose. Next time I will make the cream and incorporate it directly in the stewing liquid at the end. The cream could also be made with anything instead of the garlic; shallot, or an herb or, oooh, a spice! I only had 1 lb of beef when I made this, so the numbers in parenthesis are for a third of the recipe.

(1) 3 lb. beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
(3 Tbsps) 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
(5 tsps) 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
(1 small) 1 large onion, roughly chopped
(1 small) 1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
(1/3 cup) 2 cups red wine
(1 sprig) 2 sprigs thyme
(3) 8 cloves garlic, peeled
(1/3) 1 cup olive oil
(3 Tbsps) 1⁄2 cup whole milk
(3 Tbsps) 1⁄2 cup heavy cream

  1. In a large bowl, season the beef with salt and pepper and toss with the flour. In an 8-qt. saucepan, heat the oil at medium-high. Working in batches, add the beef to the pan and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and return the pan to medium-high heat.
  2. Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in the wine and thyme and cook, stirring, until the wine reduces by half, about 10 minutes. Return the beef to the pan and then stir in 8 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a slow, steady simmer and then cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is very tender and the sauce is reduced, about 3 hours.
  3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the garlic with 1 cup water and bring to boil. Cook for 5 minutes and then drain the garlic. Return the garlic to the pan along with the olive oil and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook for 5 minutes and then remove from the heat and drain the garlic, reserving the olive oil. Return the garlic to the pan, add the milk and cream, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring, until the cream is reduced and the garlic is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
  4. Pour the garlic cream into a blender and purée until smooth. With the machine on, slowly drizzle in the reserved olive oil and blend into a thick sauce. Scrape the sauce into a serving bowl and serve alongside the beef stew.


No comments:

Post a Comment