There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, July 24, 2020

Blackberry Fool - Testing

Food in England by Dorothy Hartley, pg 428

1 - This was very good and totally wrong. It's such a rich dessert, but is kind of uninteresting, like eating a bowl of just cake icing (I realize in writing this some people are happy to do this). I served it to Ben piled in a glass. We both felt it needed something else, for more variety in mouth feel but also in terms of flavour; how to elevate it. He suggested layering it in the glass with fresh berries; I thought it needed some sort of simple sponge cake. So ultimately it's an ingredient in, like, a Parfait or a Trifle or something like that. Very, very good, but just needs to be matched with something else.

"Bake the blackberries in a covered jar till the juice runs. Rub through a sieve and when cold mix the resultant pulp with equal quantity of whipped cream. Serve whipped high in pale lavender-coloured whirls, in glasses. When cream is not available, use an equal amount of fine cornflour cream (rather thinner than blancmange, but slightly thicker than custard)."

2 cups (8 oz) ripe blackberries
3 Tbsps brown sugar
2 cups whipping cream
RECOMMENDED
zest of 1/2 lemon
OPTIONAL
1 Tbsp brandy
OR
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, to be pressed with the blackberries
AND
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Extra blackberries

  1. Bake the blackberries in a covered ceramic baking dish at 350F until just softened, about ??? minutes.
  2. To remove the seeds from the blackberries, place a sieve over another ceramic or glass bowl and with the back of a wooden spoon, and push as much of the softened blackberries through. 
  3. Make the whipping cream with the sugar and, if desired, any of the recommended or optional ingredients. Whip to soft peaks, about 2 minutes using an electric mixer. How long by hand?
  4. Gently fold about 2/3 of the blackberry pulp into the whipped cream. When spooning them into glasses, use the purple streaking to create interesting patterns (usually swirls).
  5. Drizzle the remaining pulp over this and serve. You can also garnish with extra fresh blackberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment