There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, July 30, 2020

Salade de carrottes - PUBLISHED


1 - Tasty first go, no improvements suggested.
2 - I've made this a few times, now, and I feel like the quantity of dressing isn't quite right. I added a variation which I did not record, which is maple-syrup for honey, and that might have been just enough to change things too much. Therefore I will try it with honey next time and see.
3 - Just lovely. And the carrots don't have to be great carrots.
4 - Ok, made it again and there didn't seem to be enough dressing! Did I do too much carrot? It seemed like so much. 

1 lb carrots, peeled
2 Tbsps minced chives or chopped green onion
2 Tbsps minced fresh parsley
Optional: 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas

Dressing
2 3 Tbsps fine olive oil*
2 Tbsps lemon juice
2 tsps honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp salt
  1. Grate the carrots and put them in a bowl. 
  2. Add the chives, parsley and optional chickpeas.
  3. To make the dressing, whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl until emulsified.
  4. Pour the dressing over the carrot mixture. Toss until the carrots are evenly coated in dressing. 
  5. Allow the salad to marinate for 20 minutes before serving. Toss again before serving. 

*I don't usually talk about 'using only the best' of anything, but I did bother to point out that a fine extra-virgin olive oil would be choice in this instance. Regular olive oil is mainly for cooking and doesn't have much in the way of flavor. However, in a salad dressing of this kind you want to taste the olive oil, which is why a real cold-pressed, extra-virgin olive oil, preferably unfiltered, is best for a really tasty dressing but, if you don't have any, it'll be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment