There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Rye bread - Testing

1 - So, apparently rye flour hydrates differently from wheat flour. The first rise came out quite wet and sticky, so I had to add half as much wheat flour before it started to be a little better (even though it was likely stickier than I would otherwise be happy with). It looked like the texture was wrong, too, kind of like the surface of a freshly stirred cottage cheese instead of the lovely smooth and, frankly, clammy feeling of a wheat sourdough. Once I'd surmised that my loaves were too wet, I decided to go with an internal temperature reading to establish when it was done. So baked it in the covered casserole for 20 minutes, then twenty minutes without, took a temperature reading and then left it in for a total of 22 minutes until it came up to 205 (I think anyway, but my digital thermometer decided to punk out on me at the last reading). Oh, and the amount of caraway seeds is good.
 - took much water at the beginning
 - which caused too much flour to be added
 - which caused too long a bake to get the proscribed internal temperature
 - I suspect that the 20 minutes lid on and 20 minutes lid off isn't quite right, either
 - overall, it may have been a better idea not to make my first attempt with a 50/50 rye-to-wheat ratio, but something like a 25/75 rye-to-wheat ratio.
 - it's also possible that I mixed in the starter at a point of decline after it had been at full strength
2 - I put in 500g of water and, while the bread has come out better, it still isn't quite right. I followed the recipe for the Sourdough boule I made with wheat flour, and I suspect maybe the timing isn't quite right. According to Breadtopia for rye bread, the first proof should be 12 hours! Ok, that's my next attempt. This time, the bread was less dense but still too dense, at it was still to wet inside while the bottom crust was just verging on burned. The kicker is that Breadtopia also recommends 475F instead of 450, but they suggest to bake by internal temperature of 200F, instead of by time.

Makes 2 loaves

570g water NOTE: start with 500g and after adding the flours increase the water if it looks like it needs it, at no less than 105F and no more than 110F
415g of 'fed' rye sourdough starter
2 Tbsps honey
3 tsps salt
4 tsps caraway seeds
450g rye flour
475g all purpose flour, + more for kneading (I ended up adding 270g)
  1. Whisk together the water, starter, honey, salt and caraway seeds until dissolved. 
  2. Add the flours and mix together until combined, then let rest in a warm, dark place, covered by a damp dish towel, for about 15 minutes  3 hours.
  3. Knead the dough by hand, adding flour in small increments until the dough forms into a ball that is tacky but doesn't cling to the fingers. I have a wooden dough bowl so I knead right in the bowl, but if you don't you can take it out and use a floured surface. This should take no more than 10 minutes and no less than 8.
  4. Weigh the ball of dough and divide it into two equal parts. 
  5. In a medium bowl or spare casserole dish, form a piece of parchment paper to line the vessel.
  6. Fold the dough to form a ball and place on top of the parchment paper, seam-side-down. Brush with a light coating of oil or melted butter and allow to rise another 2 hours, covered with a damp towel, in a warm, draft-free place.
  7. At the end of the 2 hours, place a dutch oven with its lid on to heat up in the oven as it pre-heat to 450F (about 20 minutes depending on the oven).
  8. Dust the top of the bread with a bit of flour, then cut the top with at least one gash or a nice design using a lame, safety razor blade, or a serrated knife for a clean cut (this lets out steam for an even bake, otherwise the steam builds up and bursts willy-nilly).
  9. Take the hot dutch oven out and gently lift the parchment paper with the risen dough into it. Put the hot lid on and pop back into the oven.
  10. Bake until the internal temperature is 200F. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until it is light brown, then remove the lid and bake another 10-15, or until the top crust browns nicely. You can also check for internal temperature of 205-10

No comments:

Post a Comment