There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Blackberry Junket - Untested

Food in England by Dorothy Hartley, pg 429

"(very delicate) This is a very old recipe, and if you have any people in your household who cannot eat the seeds, make this. Take a square of coarse strong cheese cloth, and pile it full of the ripest blackberries you can find. Knot that four corners, slip a stick under them and twist, over a china bowl, pressing the bag with a wooden spoon, till you have a bowl full of rich thick blackberry. Don't add anything to it; it should set solid in about 2 hours if left undisturbed in a warm room. It will be of the consistency of junket, and is delicious served from the bowl with thin rolled brown bread and butter, or sponge fingers (and, of course, Devonshire cream if possible). I have never met an old lady or gentleman who did not appreciate this dish made specially for them."

1 cup very ripe blackberries?
1' x 1' piece of cheese cloth or coarse weave linen
1 stick (the handle of a wooden spoon?)
1 wooden spoon
1 pretty bowl

  1. Line a bowl with the cloth.
  2. Pour in the berries.
  3. Pull the four corners of the cloth together and tie in a knot.
  4. Under the knot, slip in the stick/spoon handle.
  5. Lift the bag over the pretty bowl and hold pretty low to avoid splashing.
  6. Twist the stick like a tourniquet while hold the bag stationary until the berries start to get crushed and the juice runs out. You may have to press the bag against the side of the bowl and press on it with the extra wooden spoon to get all the juice out (why not hands? Is it because it stains?). 
  7. Cover loosely with a cloth (to keep flies out) and leave in a warm room for about 2 hours, undisturbed. It will become like junket, or a very delicate-yet-firm yoghurt (I think).
  8. Eat with cream or Devonshire cream or with some sort of sweet bread or biscuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment