There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, July 20, 2020

Olde English Blacke Berrie Pie - PUBLISHED

Food in England by Dorothy Hartley, p. 427-8 as Blackberry Pudding (original recipe at bottom)

1 - Success! These were early season blackberries so I did not add the ginger or lemon. Perhaps a little honey to set of more flavour, but otherwise it did not need any sweetener, and the apple gave the pie just the right texture.
2 - Success again! This time I added some of the blackberries left over after making Blackberry Liqueur.
3 - Success again, but I didn't get to eat any of it. I made it for a potluck and got loads of compliments on it, which just makes me want to make it for myself! Since I didn't have any of it, and can't judge for myself, I will keep this at Test 2. However, if I end up liking it and have no further changes I'd like to try, I will graduate it immediately to LaMouffette.

2 medium apples (364gr) peeled, cooked and mashed
cookie pie dough recipe, rolled extra thin and the edges rolled up to be a bit thicker
A little oil
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups (432gr) blackberries (or substitute 1 cup with leftover blackberries from making liqueur)
1/4 cup butter
For Late Season Berries
- 2 tsps fresh grated ginger
- zest from 1/2 lemon
  1. Peel and core the apples. Steam with a little water to get perfectly soft, then mash (fine? chunky?). Mix in the sugar and allow the sauce to cool completely before mixing with the blackberries and before putting in the pie shell (you don't want to melt the butter in the shell). 
  2. If you have late season berries, now is the time to add the ginger and lemon to the apple.
  3. As the apple sauce cools, roll out the dough quite thin, so 1/16" or the thickness of a dime. 
  4. Put in the pie plate and brush the bottom with a little oil or melted butter to help seal it against  the liquid of the blackberries and avoid the soggy crust syndrome. 
  5. HOWEVER, not to loose the loveliness of the crust, instead of cutting away the excess, fold the edge over to double the thickness of the edges. I can also just fold over the crust, pinch the edges, and allow the rest of it drape willy-nilly over the face of the pie. 
  6. With a wooden spoon, very gently combine the blackberries and the applesauce. Spoon the mixture into the pie shell, then dot the top with bits of butter. Fold over the crust, wet the edges and pinch. Pop in the refrigerator or freezer for at lest 15 minutes.
  7. If you're ready to bake, turn on the oven to 400F. Brush the top of the pie with a little more oil and put it on a parchment-lined baking sheet to catch any drips and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the crust is deep golden brown
"Use a deep earthenware piedish and pack it full, sprinkling sugar between the layers. Fill up (there should be very little room if well packed down) with the very moist pulp of cooked apples."
"Because it is a mistake to overcook blackberries, the pudding should be given the thinnest possible crust, and apple pulp used for filling the interstices between the tight-packed berries. A knob of butter inside is a great improvement. Late in the season it is good to add a pinch of spice."

No comments:

Post a Comment