There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Spaghettini with Lemon, Garlic and Thyme - Test 1

https://www.southernkitchen.com/recipes/main-dish/spaghetti-with-lemon-garlic-and-thyme

1 - I've made this once from the Web site and made changes as I went along, but now I don't remember what they were! I liked the result, though.
2 - I futzed quite a lot with this one, but it turned out quite good. I think there's not enough cheese, though... I used 2 1/2 lemons and the zest from only 2.
3 - Still tasted good, but I forgot the salt. It needs the salt. I've made it more prominent in the recipe to make sure it gets in there.
4 - I did not have garlic scape paste, nor did I have lemons, so I substituted with 4 cloves of garlic and limes. I feel like there wasn't enough garlic flavour and I think the sharpness of lemon is better than the floral of lime. I will increase the garlic to 9 cloves (9 for the White Goddess).

1 lb. spaghettini
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup garlic scape paste OR 9 cloves garlic, minced 10 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp red pepper flakes
Juice and zest of 2 to 3 lemons
⅔ cup white wine
4 Tbsps. butter (2oz/56g)
⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
A few sprigs of fresh thyme, minced or 1 tsp dried thyme
Freshly ground black pepper
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the spaghetti until just al dente, or one minute less than the package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the garlic scape paste or minced garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, but without browning, about 1 minute the aroma changes from sharp to sweet.
  3. Add the red pepper flakes and cook until aromatic, 15 seconds. 
  4. Stir in the wine, lemon juice and salt; increase the heat to medium-high and let simmer until thickened and reduced by half. 
  5. Stir in the butter, along with 2 tablespoons of the reserved pasta cooking water. When the butter is melted, turn off the heat and add the cooked pasta, Parmesan and lemon zest. Toss to coat evenly with the sauce. Stir in the thyme. If the sauce seems too thick, add more pasta water, one tablespoon at a time. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment