There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, July 25, 2020

Blackberry Wine - Untested

Food in England by Dorothy Hartley, pg 428-9

The quantities of ingredients for this recipe are dependent on the volume of berries picked. The instructions from the book are pretty straightforward, and I've just broken them down into bullet points to mark out the different steps, which helps me when working a recipe.

- Blackberries
- Sugar
- Isinglass

  1. "Take your berries full ripe, and fill a large wood or stone vessel with a spicket in it, and pour on as much boiling water as will just appear at the top of the vessel, and 
  2. "as soon as cool enough to bear your hand, reach in and bruise well (as if you were breaking curd) till all the berries be broke. 
  3. "Then let it stand covered till the berries be well wrought to the top, usually three or four days.
  4. "Then draw off the juice through the spicket into another vessel, wash out the cask and replace the spicket, and pour back the juice, adding to every 10 quarts 1lb of sugar. 
  5. "Let it stand and work (with yeast floating on a slice of toast) for a week, then the night before steep() [4 oz. isinglass] 12 hours in a pint of good white wine, and next morning melt() over a slow fire ().
  6. "again draw off [the blackberry juice] and clear it with 4 oz. of isinglass. Stir [in] the isinglass till it mixes well, strain into a barrel, bung it up and bottle late next spring."

No comments:

Post a Comment