There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, October 11, 2019

Elzekaria - Test 2

from French Country Cooking by Elizabeth David, pg 42
https://www.cuisinealafrancaise.com/fr/recettes/entrees/potages-et-soupes/elzekaria
https://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca/index.php?topic=1752.0

1 - I made a potful with only  cups of water and it makes quite a lot! Ben and I were eating it and felt like there was something missing - good, but something missing. Just now, in re-reading the recipe, I realized I completely forgot about the vinegar! That's ok, I have a potful of the stuff to serve it again with the vinegar!
April 6 2020: used some of my home-made plum vinegar and it made a difference, for sure. It makes for a lot of soup, so next time I will try it with apple cider vinegar, which is even more acidic.
2 - Red wine vinegar really completes the dish. Other fruit vinegars don't have the tang needed to stand out for this recipe. I tried it with a poached egg and, while it provided some silkiness to the broth and some protein to the soup, overall it didn't really contribute very much.
3 - A nice, light vegetable soup, suitable for late summer so that fresh shelling beans are available. I wonder if BROAD BEANS would work in this? Otherwise, a very nice soup.

1 large onion, sliced (10-12 oz)
2 Tbsps lard
1 small cabbage, sliced thin (28oz)
1/2 lb small beans (haricot), fresh or soaked (TRY SKINNED BROAD BEANS IN LATE WINTER/EARLY SPRING?)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, bay leaves)
Salt and pepper
8 cups water
Per soup bowl 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar, to serve

(OPTIONAL: 1 small leek, sliced; 1 cup sliced green beans; 1 large potato, diced; 1 carrot, diced; 1 small turnip or chunk of rutabaga, diced; 1 Espelette pepper, cut in half and seeded)
  1. Sauté onions (and optional leek) in a soup pot using the lard. 
  2. When perfectly soft and just starting to brown, add the cabbage, beans, garlic, salt and pepper (and optional green beans and/or potato and/or carrot and/or turnip). Stir it up and sauté until the cabbage just begins to wilt.
  3. Add the water and bouquet garni (and optional  Espelette pepper), bring to a simmer and cook for 3 hours or until the beans are cooked and soft (this will be much less if the beans are fresh).
  4. When serving add a the vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment