There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, October 17, 2019

La Falette - Untested

0 - I can't remember where this recipe came from. Someone's book, somewhere. I did not find many references on line, but I did find these. The YouTube recipe is gold!
https://www.nicholeplaster.com/2017/02/07/festive-falette-dauvergne/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm4VXkHOZ0c

3 carrots, coarse dice
2 small turnips or a chunk of rutabaga, coarse dice
1 onion, coarse chop
1 + 1 Tbsps lard
1 1/2 cups white wine
bouquet garni of leek leaves, thyme, bay leaf
2 onions each poked with 4 cloves
1 cup chicken stock (or enough to bring the level of liquid to 1/2 the height of the meat).
2 slices bread with crusts removed, in crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1/2lb chard, washed and chopped
1 small bunch parsley, chopped
1 onions, chopped
1 cup currants ? Plums ? Prunes ?
2 cloves garlic, crushed
?how much meat?
. only 1/3 lb as in book recipe, or 12oz sausage meat, 10 oz ground cooked ham, 14 oz ground pork (which I'm using to substitute veal)
3 eggs
Lamb breast (is this the spare ribs from the belly?,  can I use the rack?)
Salt and pepper

  1. In the braising pot you'll cook the lamb in, sauté the carrot, turnip and onion in the lard until starting to caramelize. Add the white wine, scrape up the fond and cook down by a third. Add the bouquet garni and the chicken stock. Bring to a low simmer and cook while preparing the meat.
  2. Soak the bread in the milk; squeeze it to drain.
  3. In a bowl mix together the chard, parsley, onion, garlic, fruit (dependent on region and availability) and ground pork. Add the eggs and the soaked and squeezed breadcrumbs. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Knead and pinch everything together until uniform.
  4. Cut out a pocket in the breast by starting at one end and separating along the natural seam (along the bones?) in the meat, and sew up one side. You end up with a sock-like pocket to stuff. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Stuff the breast 'pocket'. Don't overstuff (if you have a small breast) - it has to be rolled up afterwards, so there should be some give. Once stuffed, sew up the open end.
  6. Sear the meat on all sides in a hot pan greased with an additional Tbsp of lard (about 5 minutes per side). 
  7. Put the lamb in the pot with the broth and vegetables. Cover and braise for 1 hour 30 to 45 minutes on the stove top or in a 350 oven.
  8. Serve with the boiled veg and a thin slice of the falette.

No comments:

Post a Comment