There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Grilled Roast Beef - Testing

https://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--160835/grilled-roast-beef.asp

1 - I've used these instructions before but can't remember the outcome. I just roasted a small loin roast and it was overdone after waiting the prescribed hour. I should have been more attentive. While the meat was quite done, it wasn't over tough. It's the crust that was on the edge of burning.

This is mainly for the instructions. Rubs etc can be done on the side.

5 to 3 pound beef roast
cooking oil
Salt and pepper to taste

  1. Turn grill on high and allow to heat up for 15 to 20 minutes.
  2. Rub the roast with oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper on both sides. Other seasoning can be added if desired.
  3. When grill is heat, place the roast over the direct heat and sear each side for 4 to 5 minutes.
  4. Once seared, move to an area of indirect heat by leaving one side on medium-high heat and turning off the other side on a gas grill. Place the roast on the side that is turned off. On charcoal grill hot coals should be moved to one area and the roast should be place over the area where there are no coals.
  5. Cover the grill and allow the roast to cook for about 1 hour for a medium rare 2-3 lb. roast. The temperature of the grill should be around 400° F. Check for doneness with a meat thermometer. For medium rare - 145°, medium - 160°, and well done - 170°. Cook for approximately 1 1/2 for medium and 2 hours for well done.
  6. Be sure to check for doneness often because timing can vary depending on roast size and heat of the grill. If you don't have a thermometer for checking doneness you will have to cut into the roast close to the middle and check for desired doneness.
  7. Roast should be removed from the grill when it is approximately 5° below desired temperature and then be allowed to set for 15 minutes before carving. In this time the temperature will rise approximately another 5°.
  8. Carve and serve as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment