There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, October 11, 2019

Stove-top/Campfire Cornbread - Test 2

0 - I've made this several times but have no documented my progress. I do remember that very low heat is good, a diffuser on the RV stovetop is essential. I made a note that the amount of fat in the bread means that you don't need to have a layer of oil in the baking dish before putting in the batter.
1 - Ok, so I burned it. I made it on our new used stove from the recycling depot and I'm not used to using electric stoves, and the bottom started to, erm, over-brown. Not totally burned, but definitely much darker than I would like. But still really tasty!
2 - I made it without burning it. The temperature has to be quite low for this.

6 Tbsps butter, bacon fat or lard
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp sugar

  1. Melt the butter in a cast-iron or stainless steel pan and allow to cool a bit.
  2. In the same pan, mix the cornmeal into the butter, then add, all at once, the flour, baking powder and salt; combine thoroughly.
  3. Add the egg, milk and sugar and mix until lumps are gone.
  4. Cook on a low-to-medium-low fire, tightly covered, until the middle sets, about 15-20 minutes. (if your lid is not tight, stretch a sheet of aluminium foil over the top of the pan and put the lid on top, pressing down to create as much of a seal as possible with the foil) 
  5. Uncover and allow to settle, by the fire, or under a broiler (for about 5 minutes).
  6. Let cool and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment