There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, December 9, 2022

Fried Pulled Pork over Beans - Untested

I like the idea of this recipe, but the original is a full on slow-cooker thing with a fresh pork roast. I'd like to make this using leftover pork. I just have to figure out what that looks like. I am taking the finishing instructions for the Pork Carnitas, figuring out how to make a sauce with the spices to fry the meat in, baking the beans separately and then maybe mixing all together at the end? Or maybe just serving the fried meat on top of the beans... mmm, that sounds right.

3 cups dry Chili Beans
1½ cups beef broth
1 28oz can crushed tomato
1 28oz can diced tomato
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced.
1 tsp salt
2 lbs roast pork, bones removed and pulled
2 Tbsps brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp chilli powder
3/4 tsp dry oregano
dash of cinnamon
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp cayenne 
1/2 cup beef broth
BBQ Sauce
1 Teaspoon Hot Sauce, Optional
  1. Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water. Next day, drain and add to the slow cooker.
  2. Add the broth, cans of tomato, onion, garlic and salt.
  3. Cook in the slow cooker on Low for 8-10 hours.
  4. About a half hour before serving, pull apart the pork using a couple of forks and set aside.
  5. In a small pot mix together the brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. Pour in the 1/2 cup of beef broth. Bring to a boil then turn off the heat.
  6. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large non stick pan over high heat, then reduce to medium high (you could do the popcorn test). Place shredded pork into the pan, drizzle over some juices. Wait until the juices evaporate and the bottom side is golden brown and crusty. Since you are reheating the carnitas, flip and cook the other side briefly just to warm through. I really recommend only making one side crusty and leaving the other side juicy and moist.
  7. Serve the pork on top of the cooked beans, with BBQ sauce and hot sauce on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment