There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, December 17, 2022

Speculoos - Test 1

http://sandrinita.canalblog.com/archives/2011/12/17/22949964.html
https://www.ptitchef.com/recettes/dessert/la-veritable-recette-des-speculoos-fid-1428686

1 - Yum! I could still play with the spices as there is significant variation there, but so far, so good. I would like to know how crunchy they are supposed to be, but otherwise they work just fine. Some people want to decorate them, which I have no problem with. It did require almost double the amount of water to get it to the correct consistency though, so I've made that adustment.

300g flour (de farine)
180g brown sugar (de cassonade)
Good pinch of salt (Sel)
1 tsp cinnamon (de cannelle)
Pinch of ground clove (1 clou de girofle écrasé)
¼ de paquet 1 tsp baking powder (de levure chimique)
60g butter, room temperature (de beurre)
4 à 5 cl 2-3 3-6 Tbsps water (d’eau)
  1. Combine in a large bowl the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and spices.
  2. Pinch in the butter until well mixed in, fine like coarse sand.
  3. Start with 3 Tbsps of water and slowly increase until a smooth ball of dough is obtained.
  4. Wrap (I use beeswax wrappers) and refrigerate for 1 to 48 hours.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F. 
  6. Roll out the dough to 5mm thick, cut with cookie cutters (or if you have a cool Speculoos rolling pin, use that).
  7. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lay the cookies on top. They can be relatively close to each other since they don't puff very much.
  8. Bake until just starting to brown, or 15 minutes.

  1. Dans un saladier, mettre la farine, la levure chimique, la cannelle, le clou de girofle, la cassonade, le sel.
  2. Incorporer peu à peu le beurre en petit morceaux
  3. Ajouter de l’eau par petite quantité pour obtenir une boule homogène.
  4. Laisser reposer la pâte pendant une heure
  5. Préchauffer le four à 180°
  6. Etaler la pate (5 mm d’épaisseur), découper des motifs avec un emporte pièce
  7. Mettre sur la plaque du four recouverte de papier sulfurisé Faire cuire pendant 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment