There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, December 9, 2022

Pork and Kale Soup - Testing


1 - I was a little skeptical about this, but it turned out quite nicely. The others added hot sauce but, whatever. I thought just the lime was enough. I think I would like to try adding the lime to the soup instead of as wedges on the side. I standardized the amount of salt.
2 - I did not have cilantro and it seemed like it was missing something to balance the flavor of the kale. The leftover pork I used was from the lucky New Year pork roast, and so a mild pork which I cubed small (which worked fine). We used some hot sauce due to no cilantro to balance the strong flavor of the kale which worked fine. I would like to figure out how much lime to put directly in the soup which seems like a better way of doing things.

1 Tbsp mild oil or lard
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup dry Northern beans or cannellini beans
2 cups cooked pork, pulled apart
8 cups chicken broth
3 cups chopped fresh kale
1 tsp salt 
Pepper, to taste
Lime (how much?) Start with the juice from 1/2 lime and taste test.
Cilantro OR Hot sauce
  1. Soak the beans overnight. Cook beans in boiling water until they are soft, at least an hour.
  2. Once the beans are cooked, heat the oil in a large soup pot and cook the onion until soft. Add the corn and continue to cook until the corn kernels just slightly turn golden brown. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more or until the sharp raw garlic smell goes away.
  3. Add the chicken broth, pork and the kale and stir to combine.
  4. Cover and bring to a boil.
  5. Reduce to a simmer, add the beans and cook another 20 minutes. 
  6. Add the lime before serving. 
  7. Serve with fresh cilantro sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment