There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, December 19, 2022

La Flamiche au fromage à pâte molle - Test 1


ALSO LOOK AT

1 - What a discovery! It's a recipe from Nord-Pas-de-Calais and is a cheesy baked bread. The consistency of the bread is reminiscent of brioche. I don't know if this is how it's supposed to go but the cheese all melted in a pool and kind of became a sauce I spooned over the pieces when I cut up the bread. The original uses the local Maroilles cheese, I substituted with Cambozola. It strikes me more as a side dish than a main, but I served it with lots of roasted veg and it went down really well.
NOTE: there is one detail I can't remember. In the original recipe it has you put the dough aside to rise once, then spread in the baking pan and put in the oven immediately. I wonder if I didn't spread the dough immediately in the pie plate to rise and then just put the toppings on before baking. I've used the recipe's version first for my next try.

3 Tbsps milk
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp dry active yeast
250g flour 
2 eggs
2 Tbsps olive oil 
1 generous pinch of salt
200g thick crème fraiche 
250g of Maroilles or other soft cheese like Cambozola or Brie
Salt and pepper, to taste
Butter to grease the baking pan

For the dough
  1. Warm the milk. In a small bowl mix the milk, sugar and yeast. Allow to rest and proof for 5-10 minutes
  2. Meanwhile, put the flour in a large bowl and make a hollow in the middle.
  3. Add the eggs, oil and salt. Mix until completely combined, then add the yeasty milk.
  4. Knead until the dough forms a ball, about 10 minutes. If it's too wet, add a meagre sprinkle of flour at a time until you obtain a smooth, slightly tacky ball of dough.
  5. Cover and set aside in a warm place for an hour or two.
For the filling
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
  2. Grease a pie plate with butter and spread the dough in the pie plate from edge to edge.
  3. Slice the cheese into 1/2" slices.
  4. Evenly spread the crème fraiche over the dough, then layer on top with the slices of cheese.
  5. Salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Garnir la pâte de  épaisse.
  7. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
DÉGUSTATION:
Pairs well with a crisp salad and/or roasted vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment