There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Testing - Spicy Butternut Squash Soup

http://keepinitkind.com/harissa-roasted-butternut-squash-soup-spicy-toasted-pepitas/
http://www.theendlessmeal.com/spicy-harissa-and-roasted-butternut-squash-soup-with-toasted-pumpkin-seeds-and-crispy-mint-leaves/

I hurriedly cobbled this together the first time I made it, and put in a full tablespoon of my harissa paste. Man, was it spicy!!! I've decreased the amount, and added a sprig of fresh thyme. I wanted to try the thyme for the same reason I added the beef stock - without the stock, there was a fullness of flavour that was missing. I suspect that a vegetarian version is possible with veg stock and added tamari or soy sauce for the earthiness. The thyme I think would add a floral note which is missing (I think).

2 ½ lbs butternut squash, cubed and seeded (do not peel)
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons grated ginger
2 tsps harissa paste
1 sprig thyme, leafed and minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander
5 cups rich beef stock
Juice from 2 limes
1/2 tsp salt
Heavy cream

  1. Pre-heat oven to 450F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Toss the squash with olive oil and salt. Pop in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes, or until browned.
  4. In a soup pot, add more oil and cook the onion until starting to brown. Toss in the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander and thyme and cook, stirring constantly, for a minute more.
  5. Add the baked squash and the beef stock (vegetarians, try vegetable stock and some tamari sauce), lime juice and salt.
  6. Cook for 10 minutes, then use a blender or an immersion blender to purée. Adjust the seasoning and serve with a swirl of heavy cream on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment