There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, November 13, 2015

Squash soup with Parmesan croutons - Test 1


1 - very good. Frying the sage is a bit tricky when colour blind! Used dry chilli and added pumpkin seeds. Halved the recipe, and there's enough for 5-6 people.
2 - This was a hit, as it stands. It really only makes enough soup for a single serving to 5 people.

1-2 Tbsps olive oil
8 fresh sage leaves
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 sprig fresh rosemary, minced
½ tsp red pepper flakes (½ - 1 fresh red chilli , to taste, deseeded and finely chopped)
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 lbs buttercup squash, (or other firm, orange fleshed squash)
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Olive oil
Toasted pumpkin seeds

For the croutons
extra virgin olive oil
x bowl, 1 piece of crusty bread
Parmesan cheese, for grating
  1. Use any kind of dense, orange flesh, such as buttercup, butternut or onion squash. It’s important to use good chicken stock and season the soup well to bring out the nutty, sweet flavour of the squash. 
  2. Heat the olive oil in a soup pot but make sure it isn't too hot before adding the sage leaves to fry; they will be crisped when they become dark green. Remove them with a slotted spoon and set aside until the end. 
  3. In the flavoured oil, gently fry the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, rosemary leaves, chilli and a good pinch of salt and pepper for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are sweet and soft. 
  4. Add the squash and the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for around 30 minutes.
  5. While the soup is cooking, make your croutons
  6. Drizzle a little olive oil over the bread slices and let it soak in. Press some grated Parmesan into each side. Place in a non-stick pan without any oil and fry until golden on both sides.
  7. When the squash is soft and cooked through, purée until smooth.
  8. Toast the pumpkin seeds and sprinkle on top before serving, along with the crumbled fried sage leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment