There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, November 6, 2015

Testing - Baked Pasta With Merguez And Harissa-Spiked Sauce

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/baked-pasta-with-merguez-and-harissa-spiked-sauce
1 - We liked it, but something needs tweaking. I would like to add some salt, and Ben pointed out that there was too much sauce. Now, I did vary from the recipe, using some of our home-made tomato sauce instead of the 28oz can of whole tomatoes (I think I'd like the texture, actually), and I made the mistake of using two 500mL bottles of our tomatoes. Next time, I will only use one bottle.

1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 ounces merguez sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 28oz  500mL bottle tomato sauce can whole peeled tomatoes
1 tablespoon harissa paste
Salt (1/2 tsp?), freshly ground pepper
8 ounces lumaconi or other medium shells
3 ounces feta, crumbled (about ½ cup)
  1. Preheat oven to 400°. Grind caraway and cumin in a spice mill or with a mortar and pestle; set aside.

  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook sausage until browned all over but still pink in the center, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Slice into 1" pieces.

  3. Add onion to same skillet and cook, stirring often, until soft, 6–8 minutes. Add garlic and reserved spices. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, crushing, and juices, then harissa. Cook until sauce thickens slightly, 6–8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

  4. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until very al dente (about 3 minutes less than package directions; it will be firm in the center). Drain, reserving ¼ cup cooking liquid.

  5. Add sausage, pasta, and cooking liquid to skillet; toss to coat. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish, top with feta, and bake until top is browned and juices are bubbling, 18–22 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment