There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Pumpkin Curry (Koottu) - Testing

http://titlisbusykitchen.com/recipe/pumpkin-curry-recipe-koottu-south-indian

1 - Trying to substitute the coconut with something else, starting with almond. I will likely also switch out the mung beans because I don't foresee us growing the stuff, so lentils will do just fine. I'm curious about the order of cooking. I would likely start by heating the old, getting the mustard to pop, then do the onion and garlic instead of a raw paste, add the spices then cook the pumpkin, dahl and almond flour until ready. But for my first try, I'll do it like the recipe says. I also converted into cups and doubled the quantity.
2 - So two things. It was fine. I used coconut flour because people keep leaving the damn stuff here! Available resources and all that. But I really don't like the stuff. It has a grainy texture I find unpleasant. And it made the curry strangely thick. I also wonder what it did the flavour. Back to using almond, I think! I also didn't do the Tarka properly. I didn't read the recipe (yes, again, even though I'm a recipe writer) and I just added the mustard seeds and then realized my mistake and just plopped in some butter. Ben felt that more spice would be good, I wonder if it isn't the using the coconut flour and not properly popping the mustard seeds that are the culprits. NOTE I will try it again as it is, assess the result, and then if improvements can be made, try the chipotle powder).

½ cup water
14 28 oz pumpkin flesh cut into a fine dice
3½ oz 1 cup dahl or lentils, e.g mung dahl
¼  ½ tsp turmeric
2 cups water
3/4 cup ground almond 1½ oz dessicated coconut
2 shallots or 1 small onion finely chopped
2 4 garlic cloves
½ 1 tsp chilli powder (see note 2 above, then TRY substituting for ½ tsp chipotle pepper powder)
½ 1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp salt
Tarka
½ 1 tsp black mustard seeds
4 tsps (19gr) vegetable oil or ghee
  1. In a soup pot put the ½ cup water, pumpkin, lentils and turmeric. Mix, bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently for 15 minutes until the pumpkin is tender.
  2. Process in a food processor or food mill the water, coconut, chilli, cumin, shallots and garlic to a paste. 
  3. Add the paste to the pumpkin mix and slowly simmer until the dahl is cooked. If still slightly firm add ¼ of water and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
  4. The mixture should be slightly mushy and both the pumpkin and dahl should be soft but hold their shape.
  5. To prepare the tarka heat 2 tsp of oil or ghee in a small pan over a high heat. Add the mustard seeds. Once they begin to pop add the mixture to the koottu and mix well. Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment