There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Test 1 - Roast Pork Loin with Winter Roots

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roast-pork-loin-with-garlic-and-rosemary-101684

1 - Since I did not record any notes from the last roasting, I will for this one and keep it at Test 1. I have, also, made some changes to the cooking instructions and a bit to the ingredients.

4 large garlic cloves, pressed
4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 2 1/2-pound pork loin roast
Fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)
2 lbs mixed winter root veg cubed into 1/2 inch pieces (such as turnip, parsnip, celeriac, carrot, rutabaga etc)
2-3 Tbsps oil, divided
More salt and pepper, to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F and line a roasting pan with foil. 
  2. Mix together the pressed garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper in a bowl. 
  3. Drizzle the roast with oil and rub to cover. Massage in the garlic mixture after this. 
  4. Place pork, fat side down, in the roasting pan or on a rimmed cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, dice the winter veg. 
  6. When the roast has finished its initial 15 minutes, remove from the oven, turn down the temperature to 350°F. 
  7. Turn the roast fat side up. 
  8. Spread the cubed roots around the roast in a single layer. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with as much salt and pepper as you will like.
  9. Roast pork 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 150°F. 
  10. Remove from the oven, tent with some foil and let stand for about 10 minutes.
  11. Check the root veg cubes for doneness and return to the oven if not done.
  12. Pour any juices from the roasting pan into small saucepan and keep keep warm. 
  13. Cut the pork crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. 
  14. To plate, put down a layer of roots, and arrange the pork slices on top or as you find most visually appealing. Pour the pan juices over the sliced pork. You can also garnish it with rosemary sprigs, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment