There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, November 16, 2015

Testing - Chicken in a Pot with Carrots, Turnips, and Barley

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chicken-pot-carrots-turnips-barley

1 - Interesting - it's like a Poule-au-pot but braised instead of immersed. I quite enjoyed browning the chicken! I feel, however, that the barley is not well handled. I've already increased the quantity to a cup, but cooking it in water beforehand and then letting it briefly swim in the remaining broth at the  end didn't produce a wow result. I am altering the recipe - using stock instead of plain water; putting the barley in at the beginning and cooking with the chicken; adding the vegetables at a later time so that they rest on top of the barley. Let's try that!

1 cup pearled barley
1 3½–4-lb. chicken
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
3 garlic cloves, peeled, lightly crushed
3 sprigs thyme
3 bay leaves
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup brandy or 1/3 cup dry white wine
3 cups chicken broth
3 carrots, sliced 3" thick
2 leeks, whites and light greens only, trimmed, sliced 3" thick
1 bunch peeled whole baby turnips or one larger turnip or chunk of rutabaga (about 6oz.), peeled, cut into 1" wedges
1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
  1. Cook barley in 1 1/4 cup lightly salted water. Drain and set aside.
  2. Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Place garlic, thyme, and bay leaves inside chicken.
  3. In a Dutch oven or cast-iron pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Pat chicken dry and place it breast side down in pot. Cook until browned, 5–7 minutes per side (this is correct at moderate heat), then transfer chicken to a plate. Pour brandy into pot and scrape up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Allow to reduce a few minutes.
  4. Add the barley and mix into the remaining liquid. Lay the chicken on top of the barley and lay the chicken on top before adding the broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, about 20-30 minutes (depending on how done you like your veg - see next step).
  5. At this point, add the veg around the chicken, without disturbing the barley and continue cooking, covered, until the thighs pull easily away from the bone, another 25-35 minutes, and the veg are done to your likeness (you may have to remove the veg before the chicken is done to avoid having them go to mush).
  6. Remove chicken from pot and gently spoon out vegetables. Skim any foam or fat from broth and strain through a fine sieve or cloth. Season the remaining barley, to taste, with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment