There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, November 23, 2015

Pommes de terre en omelette (Tortilla de patatas (Potato omelette)) - PUBLISHED

This is, indeed, easy and quick to make, but a little dull all by itself. What do you eat with it? Is there anything one can add to the recipe to liven it up?

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/potato-omelette-tortilla-de-patatas?cid=trending

1 - I think I've found how to improve this recipe. It won't be a Tortilla per se, but it's primarily about the flavour. Have a look at this:
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/laura-calder/potato-omelette.html
2 - Got it! ... I think. I combined the two and added a few twists of my own! It makes for a slightly cumbersome recipe, but I think it's pretty good!
3 - I've made this a couple of times since the last report, and it is ready for publishing!

1 cup olive oil
8 strips bacon, cut into paper clip-size pieces
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
Splash of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon butter (yes, another one)
4 medium potatoes, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
6 5 eggs
1/2 tsp salt (enough? too much?)
Pepper, to taste

  1. At a medium-high temperature cook the bacon until just starting to brown. With a slotted spoon, remove the meat and reserve in a medium sized bowl.
  2. Lower the temperature to medium, add a Tbsp of butter, and slowly cook the onion until soft and translucent. This will take a while, maybe something like 20 minutes. For the last minute of cooking, add the garlic. Strain out and add to the bacon bowl for set aside.
  3. Splash the balsamic vinegar in the hot oil and cook until the spitting and bubbling almost ceases - this is when most of the extra water will have been cooked away.
  4. Add the potatoes with another Tbsp of butter and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until it is soft and starts to brown.
  5. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, add the salt and pepper.
  6. When the potatoes are cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove from the pan and pop into the bowl with the bacon and onion. Pour out all but 1 or 2 Tbsps of bacon fat. 
  7. Put the bacon, onion and potato back in, stir to mix well, and then pour the egg on top. Cover and cook at a low temperature until the egg sets, but the surface remains a little soft or runny.
  8. Serve with a fresh salad and cornbread muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment