There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, March 30, 2018

Galettes de Memère (Ginger Molasses Cookies) - PUBLISHED

First attempt, an unparalleled success!
2 - Made again for Christmas 2017 (but at in the New Year because we both got sick) and again, delicious. Gave them to others who also appeared to enjoy them.
3 - Made them again, same results. Good memories!

1 cup Blackstrap molasses
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup lard or butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup boiling water
3 3/4 cup flour
  1. In a mixer bowl, whip together the molasses, brown sugar and butter until it turns pale.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the baking soda, the dry ginger, salt and flour.
  3. When the butter mixture starts to go pale, slow the speed to the slowest! It suddenly and unexpectedly splashes everywhere as soon as you add the the boiling water if the beaters are going too fast. 
  4. Mix thoroughly, then slowly add the dry mixture until combined.
  5. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
  6. Roll into balls (1 oz each), set on cookie sheets and flatten slightly.
  7. Cook in 350F oven for 10-12 minutes.

NOTE: can divide the dough and freeze a portion for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment