There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Testing - Broccoli (stem) Soup

https://pamelasalzman.com/broccoli-stalk-soup-recipe/

1 - I only had half the amount of broccoli stem but it made a tasty soup. I added celery, put in too much garlic, and I'd like to experiment with herbs such as the ones in this recipe.
2 - I added a few dried herbs and omitted the celery. It was gratifying to use our purple sprouting broccoli, which is providing us with wonderful fruit in this early April! The soup has a meaty-ness to it that might benefit from a little lightness. Ben of course suggested citrus, but this may be an opportunity to try out some lemon balm herb.
3 - This turned out well again, but I feel like I oversalted. Start with 1 tsp and taste.

2 Tbsps vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dry thyme
1 tsp Herbes de Provence
2 - 2 ½ pounds broccoli stalks, ends and any tough woody layers removed
2 stalks celery
1 large Yukon Gold potato, about 8 ounces, peeled if desired and diced into 1-inch pieces
6 cups light stock
(2-3É?) tsps salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
Parmesan
  1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter or warm the oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, covered, until tender and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the herbs and stir for one more minute.
  2. Add the broccoli, potato, stock and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and then lower to a simmer. Cook partially covered until potatoes and broccoli stalks are tender, about 20 minutes.
  3. Puree soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Taste for seasoning.
  4. Serve topped with shaved Parmesan.


No comments:

Post a Comment