There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, April 30, 2018

Sage Butternut Soup - Untested

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/a9967/butternut-squash-soup-sage-recipe/

2 medium butternut squash
2 + 2 Tbsps oil
2 stalks celery
2 large shallots
1 carrot
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves
24 sage leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3-4 cups chicken broth (or veg for vegan suitable)
2 cups water
2oz country-style bread (such as baguette), in 1" cubes

Preheat oven to 450F. Cut squash in half and place cut sides down in the pan. Roast 45 minutes or until very tender when pierced with knife. When cooled enough scoop the squash flesh out with a spoon and discard the shells.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a soup pot to sauté celery, shallots, and carrot until soft.
Stir in thyme, bay leaf, chopped sage, salt and pepper; cook until the herbs release their aromas.
Add broth, water, and squash. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer 10.
Meanwhile, the heat remaining oil in a skillet until it shimmers. Fry the sage leaves until crisp (about 1 minute). Transfer to a plate to drain.
Add bread to skillet; cook 3 minutes or until golden brown, stirring. Transfer to plate with sage.
Discard thyme and bay leaf.
Working in batches, run the soup through a blender to purée. Reheat on low, adding water if it's too thick.
To serve, ladle soup into shallow bowls; garnish with croutons and sage leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment