There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, April 13, 2018

Staffordshire Oatcakes/Hotcakes - PUBLISHED

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/77/recipe-for-north-staffordshire-oatcake/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/staffordshireoatcake_92371
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/staffordshire-oatcakes-traditional-english-hotcakes-pancakes-421079
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/oatcakesderbyshire.htm
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/mar/02/how-to-make-the-perfect-staffordshire-oatcakes

1 - It took me a long time to decide it was time to make these, but I sure am glad I did. They are really quite tasty. This first time making them, I served them with another new recipe the Split pea and greens bharta. Awesome! I'll study traditional ways of using these cakes, but I do appreciate their versatility.
2 - I've been playing with the amount of liquid, and it's interesting. The more liquid the batter is, the finer the pancake, more like lace. Which is nice. But I think it's better with a little more substance; it makes it more like injera with more of an elastic sponge than lacey.
3 - Yep, slowly adding water is the key, here. I ended up with a little less than a 1/2 cup of the 3/12 cups of water before I stopped adding it to the flour mixture, and it made for better cakes. Or, to be fair, more to my liking, since the other ones were perfectly good, just lighter than I would have liked.

1 cup oat flour (in Scotland = fine oatmeal)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups warm water heated at no more than 110F and no less than 105F
(NOTE: you may not need all the water - see instructions)
vegetable oil or lard for frying
  1. Heat the water.
  2. Thoroughly mix together the three flours, yeast and salt in a bowl.
  3. Make a well in the center of the mixture and slowly stream in the water/milk mixture, stirring well with a wooden spoon, until the batter is well combined and is the consistency of thick double cream. (NOTE: You may not need to use all of the water.)
  4. Cover the batter with a damp, clean tea towel and set aside for 1 hour to 4 hours, to allow the gluten in the batter to develop.
  5. To cook, heat one teaspoon of oil or lard in a frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add a ladleful (1/3 cup) of the batter mixture and swirl the pan to coat the bottom of it in a thin layer.
  6. Fry the oatcake for 1-3 minutes (for me it's 2 minutes at setting 7), or until golden-brown. The edges will start to curl up when it just starts to colour.
  7. Flip the oatcake and fry again, or until golden-brown on the second side.
  8. Set the oatcake aside on a warm plate and keep covered, add a little oil to the pan and repeat until you've used up the batter.


No comments:

Post a Comment