There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Rhubarb Cinnamon Torte - Test 1

1 - Made it to great acclaim and a few recommendations, already incorporated in the recipe. Adapted from the Plum Torte recipe.
2 - May 20 2018 - Again, good. I tried laying the dough down first, then squishing in 2-3" pieces horizontally in a pinwheel pattern and it looked interesting and wasn't so interesting to eat. I think it would be better to forego the pretty and lay down the dough and squish in as many 1"-1.5" pieces vertically and weigh to figure out how many fit in.
3 - This is a good one for Ben. He enjoys the custardiness of this cake. It's an interesting one because there is actually very little batter; it's mostly fruit. It's deceiving how a thin layer of batter can be enough to cover the fruit, but once you start pushing in the rhubarb pieces, it all starts to push upward, and then as it bakes it puffs up. For the best flavor and texture, it's important to let it cool completely to room temperature. I will graduate this to Test 1, but with some reservations.

1 lb 8 oz (maybe) rhubarb, peeled and cut into 1" - 1.5" segments
1/4 cup + 3/4 cup PLUS 1 or 2 Tbsps sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick, or 4oz) butter
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
Pinch salt
1 + 2 tsps ground cinnamon, or more
Optional: Vanilla ice cream to serve

  1. Put the rhubarb in a colander and sprinkle with the 1/4 cup sugar. Leave to drain at least 30 minutes.
  2. Arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  3. In an electric mixer, cream the 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and butter. Add the flour, baking powder, eggs, and salt and beat to mix well. 
  4. Dump the batter into a 9 - 10", ungreased spring form pan. The dough will be quite stiff, so actively spread it evenly in the pan. Push in vertically as much of the rhubarb pieces into the batter as you can. 
  5. Mix the remaining 2 tsps cinnamon with the remaining 1 or 2 Tbsps of sugar and sprinkle over the top.
  6. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the center tests done with a toothpick. Remove and allow to cool completely to room temperature before serving. 
  7. Serve plain or with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment