There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Testing - No knead oat bread 2

http://www.girlversusdough.com/2010/07/08/round-thirty-three-oat-flour-bread/

1 - Yikes! Not a successful attempt. I put it in the refrigerator after the initial rise, as per the instructions, and it killed it. I left it in a warm place for longer than recommended, and nothing happened. And whoa! Way too salty.
2 - Argh! Thwarted again! I forgot the dough and it over-rose and I forgot it again and then it didn't bake properly, so I don't know if it's the recipe or the conditions! I do know that it rises more than my largest bowl can hold, so I should use my big soup pot instead for the first rise.

Makes three 1 1/2-pound loaves. The recipe can easily be doubled or halved.

3 1/4 cups lukewarm water (about 105-110F, no more)
1 1/2 tbsp granulated yeast (1 1/2 packets)
1 1/2 tbsp salt
1 cup oat flour, plus several tbsp extra to thicken the dough (about 3-5)
5 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Oil for greasing the pan

  1. Mix the yeast and salt with the water in a large bowl. Set aside.
  2. Mix the flours into a heavy duty stand mixer with the dough hook attached. 
  3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and knead with dough hook until a soft and smooth dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, about 6 minutes (here is where the extra tbsp of oat flour may come in, depending on how sticky your dough is).
  4. Place kneaded dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours. The dough can be used immediately after the initial rise, though it is easier to handle when cold. Refrigerate in a lidded container and use over the next 10 days.
  5. On baking day, lightly grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. 
  6. Dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a 1 1/2-lb. (cantaloupe-size) piece. Dust the piece with more flour and shape it into a ball. Drop into the loaf pan. Leave in a warm place to rest and rise for 1 hour and 40 minutes (or just 40 minutes if you’re using fresh, warm dough).
  7. Twenty minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 400F, with an empty broiler tray on a shelf below the bread. Place the loaf on a rack near the center of the oven and just above the broiler pan. Pour 1 cup of hot tap water into the broiler tray and quickly close the oven door. Bake for 45 minutes or until deeply browned and firm. Allow to cool before slicing or eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment