There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Mijoté of Pork short ribs with White Bean - Test 1

https://www.kilometre-0.fr/recette/echine-de-porc-aux-haricots-blancs
http://www.lesgourmandisesdisa.com/2007/11/mijot-de-porc-aux-haricots-blancs-et.html
http://www.ledevoir.com/plaisirs/alimentation/368177/recette-de-la-semaine-mijotee-de-cochon-et-haricots-blancs

1 - Made it for Ben and Diane but with some not insignificant and happy changes. Instead of using 2lbs pork shoulder or clear plate cut up in 1" chunks, I used pork side ribs cut into sections of 3 ribs. Why such a change, you ask? Well, we bought a side of pork and the butcher was overly enthusiastic about size - everything is over-sized and the packages are generically labeled. There are 2 packages of pork loin of over 5 lbs each. Way too big. And I still needed to defrost it in a microwave (which I hate doing) because I hadn't thought ahead and wanted it ready in time for dinner since I'd invited Diane. The ribs were about 2 lbs so I thought, hey, Ben and I aren't overly fussy about ribs in general, this might be my chance to find another way of preparing them and continue to respect our snout-to-tail ethos. And it worked great! There are enough beans to be the main part of the stew, and the ribs are a bit of meat where the bone has infused its delectable flavour into the broth. And the broth is flavorful without being overpowering. I made it on the wood stove so once the beans were cooked, I let them sit on the coolest part of the stove-top to continue to very gently stay hot - the carrots became very soft but essentially became part of the broth. Served with some boiled potatoes, it's excellent.
2 - Made with pork spare ribs and I was not a fan. I wonder if I hadn't made them with beef short ribs the last time? Or were the short ribs freezer burned?

Beans 
2 cups white beans, soaked overnight
1 bouquet garni (2 sprig thymes, branch parsley, bay leaf, 11 peppercorns)
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 carrots in chunks
1 tsp salt
Ribs
1 1/2 oz lard or duck fat
1 1/2 oz lardons
2 lbs pork (or beef?) short ribs, cut into sections of 3 bones
2 onions, fine dice
2 tomatoes, crushed
1 bay leaf
4 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 Tbsps fresh parsley, chopped
1 potato per diner, cut up and boiled
  1. Soak beans overnight.
  2. Rince well, then add enough water to cover with 1/2" of water. Tuck in the bouquet garni, the garlic, the carrot and a tsp. of salt. Simmer for 45 minutes or until the beans are very tender (if cooking on a wood stove, leave on the coolest part of the stove top.
  3. Meanwhile, in your main dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, cook the lardons and onion in the lard or duck fat. When the lardons turn golden, add the pork pieces to brown (should take 3-4 minutes). Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
  4. Add the tomatoes, bay leaf and stock and cook at a low boil for about 30 minutes.
  5. Drain and add the beans. Put the lid on and simmer, adding more stock, if needed to keep covered, for about an hour.
  6. Remove the lid to allow evaporation up to your desired broth consistency.
  7. Add the chopped parsley, adjust the seasoning and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment