There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Untested - Stuffed Hash Browns

https://tasty.co/recipe/hash-brown-bombs

Completely frivolous comfort food. And that's ok!

I've changed quite a lot of the instructions even before starting, and hopefully I haven't screwed things up for myself. But there were some directives that seemed overly complicated, and I really hate using onion and garlic powder, so I switched that up. The last thing I'd like to figure out is what to use other than plastic wrap to assemble the balls.

for 4 servings

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb (455 g) ground beef
1 + 1 tsps salt + an extra pinch
½ + ½ tsp pepper
2 cups (80 g) fresh spinach
5 large russet potatoes
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 small onion, grated
5 garlic cloves, pressed
½ cup (50 g) grated parmesan cheese
½ cup (50 g) grated cheddar cheese
marinara sauce, warmed, for serving
fresh parsley, chopped, for serving

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
  2. Peel and grate the potatoes. Drape a kitchen towel in a colander. Put in the potato and sprinkle with the 1 tsp salt. 
  3. While the potatoes drain, in a large pan cook the onion in oil until completely soft.
  4. Add the garlic, ground beef, 1 tsp of salt, and ½ tsp of pepper. Cook until the meat is browned.
  5. Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
  6. Cook the grated onion and garlic until it no longer smells pungent.
  7. Wring the potatoes in the towel to get as much liquid out as possible.
  8. In a large bowl, mix together the potato, pinch of salt, remaining pepper and cooked grated onion and garlic and Parmesan and mix well.
  9. Add the egg and thoroughly mix again.
  10. (In the next steps, what can I use instead of plastic wrap?)
  11. Line a small bowl with plastic wrap.
  12. Divide the potato into 4 equal portions, and do the same with the cheese and the meat filling. With a spoon, spread one of the portions around the inside of the bowl.
  13. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the inside of the potato bowl and add a portion of the beef mixture, being careful not to overfill (how much? What size bowl should I use?).
  14. Pick up the sides of the plastic wrap and close the potatoes, twisting to create a sealed ball.
  15. Chill for 30 minutes.
  16. Put the balls on a greased baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy and brown.
  17. Serve topped with marinara sauce and parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment